By Steven Shaw
This blog, like most of my others, is created for the believer in Christ. I pray if you are not a believer, these blogs would help you to believe, and trust in Jesus as your propitiation, but they weren’t written specifically to you. But read and learn either way.
My name is Steven Shaw. I am a man, I am a husband and I am a father. I live in S.J.C. And I’m writing a blog right now. Everything I just told you was 100% true. As far as I know anyway. I was able to speak in perfect truth to you for a couple sentences. Most of us spend our days speaking true statements. But when you start claiming the bible is true and without error, people get real uncomfortable.
This blog is written for God fearing, bible believing people. I want to encourage and strengthen your faith with the perfect truth that God has laid out for you through His word. Knowing that the word we have from Him is without error.
This blog isn’t intended for the non-believer. Those who believe have been given the gift of belief. I’m not trying to talk anyone into, or argue the facts. Because the fact is, the facts are there and people will always chose to not believe until God choses for them to believe. I do pray, that learning facts will help change peoples hearts to hear God’s call but my focus tonight is to help the redeemed have a deeper confidence in the truth they holdfast too.
Most people today will state that there is no absolute truth. Even some proclaiming christians will side with the world in this falsity of belief. “Do what you feel, follow your heart, whatever is true for you…” Logically non of that makes any sense. This kind of teaching is filling our prisons and making a way of death for all who believe it. This doesn’t work because when two opposing beliefs come in contact, only the one with the most power has the authority. This is why you have war. But I’m getting of my main point.
Why do you believe the bible? Or do you? Why do we, who claim to believe the bible, often act as if we don’t believe? And what does the bible say about itself?
– What is Biblical inerrancy?: The inerrancy of scripture means that scripture in the original manuscripts does not affirm anything that is contrary to fact. It is perfect, complete and without error. Simply put: The bible tells the truth, and it always tells the truth concerning everything it talks about. The bible doesn’t tell us every fact about everything. But what it does tell us about, is fact. As we’ll get into a little later.
Think about the writers:
Think about the first writers of scripture. Think about the apostles. What benefit did any one of the men of God have by lying about any of it? If you were to create your own religion, it for sure wouldn’t look like Christianity. Creating a “One” way to salvation, damning all humanity without this one way. Creating a “Jesus” character. A perfect God-man that lived a perfect life so that we could be saved from our sins? That sounds insane. There’s many better ideas I would come up with for personal benefit and/or to control people. We aren’t much different from the people in those times. Most of the New Testament writers were killed for their teachings. You would assume they’d surrender at some point if it was all made up. And the perfect unity of all found scripture. It is proven as fact to be written by multiple authors in a 1500 year span. And yet is still perfectly in tune with one another.
– Scripture cannot lie: Nothing in the bible has been proven wrong. When the bible speaks historically it is true. It has been verified. Never has anything in the bible historically been proven false, or scientific, or geographical. The only thing people can’t accept is the miracles and salvation based teachings.
2 Sam 7:28, O Lord God, you are God, and your words are true, and you have promised this good thing to your servant.
Titus 1:2, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began.
Hebrews 6:17-18 So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, 18 so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.
– The accuracy of the bible: The bible has been proven over and over again to be accurate in every aspect in history. The more we learn about all of creation, the more the world learns how accurate the bible is. If we deny inerrancy, we essentially make our own human minds a higher standard of truth than God’s word.
-There is no error:
Numbers 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?
Psalm 12:6 The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times.
Psalm 119:89, Forever, O Lord, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens.
Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Matt 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
-The Bible is Ultimate Truth:
John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. Only the word of God can sanctify us.
– The bible is outdated?: The world that claims the bible is outdated and irrelevant, still uses the very morals of right and wrong as it’s foundation point. And every other aspect in life views anything old that is found to be a nugget of knowledge. Even atheist essentially believe the same morals taught from the bible. “Do unto others”…blah blah blah, look up Mark 12:31 and Matthew 22:39.
All scripture is profitable:
2 timothy 3:14-15 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it 15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
The bible has affected the world: The more you observe the world, the more you see the nature that God has created in us to love, worship, etc.
– God breathed: Latin, to breath in.
2 Tim 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
– You are unable to believe, unless: Before you feel a sense of pride because of your great love and knowledge of the truths of the bible. Always remember that the only reason you believe is because God has chosen you to believe. You believe because of a gift that has been given to you. Nothing of your own effort. Only by His grace.
– Is your God big enough?:
People who call themselves Christians, but doubt the perfection of the bible concern me. Why would you believe any of it if you don’t believe it all. This is not s nice story. The gospel isn’t something to take lightly. The bible says that unless you believe in Jesus and all his truth, you are damned to hell for eternity. There’s nothing light about that. There’s nothing kind or nice about that at face value. To the believer, it’s words of salvation and promise. But to think the bible is a nice story but not the truth, is a stupid thing to believe.
So, is your God big enough?
So as a Christian, we need to believe our Father in heaven has a handle on what was allowed to be past down to us as the Word of God. There’s been so many theories of bible tampering and other nonsense. Believers fall into the same trap as the world and think that we have some weak partially false word of God. Is God not capable of giving us what we need. Even if there is or has been things held back or whatever, God has still giving us all we need in the Word we have from him today. You want proof? Just learn Systematic Theology. There is no error in what we have to read today. The bible is perfect as is. If they find more “Scripture” one day to add to it, well, it will be perfectly in tune with what we have already. Don’t fall into temptations of your own laziness to think false thoughts about the bible therefore to not read it. Pick it up and read. You’ll know that power of it first hand.
The Bible is Perfect:
You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Psalm 119:96, I have seen a limit to all perfection,
but your commandment is exceedingly broad.
Acts 24:14, But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets,
Romans 15:4, For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
“The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he.
2 Samuel 22:31
This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.
For truly my words are not false; one who is perfect in knowledge is with you.
The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul;
the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;
If it is true, the message of the Bible is the only message of eternal life: Because it claims it.
For all the gods of the peoples are idols, but the Lord made the heavens.
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”
Jesus said therefore to the twelve, “You do not want to go away also, do you?” Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life.”
And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved.
Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God”
1 John 2:23
Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father; the one who confesses the Son has the Father also.
1 John 5:12
He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.
– As the scriptures go on about the perfection of God, the repeated verses aren’t just about God being perfect, but God making us perfect. How? Through His Word. What other writings can claim, not only being perfect, but making the believers of that word perfect? God’s perfection gets put on to us through Jesus Christ by the revelation of his word. Trust in His power, promises and perfection.
What did Jesus believe about scripture?
-Jesus Believed the Psalmist Spoke by the Holy Spirit
-That What Moses Wrote in the Law God Himself Said
-Jesus Put the Authority of Scripture Above Satan and Above His Own Human Preferences
-Jesus Believed That All Scripture Would Be Fulfilled
-Jesus Saw Moses and the Prophets as Speaking Compelling Truth on How to Avoid Hell
-Jesus Believed That the Small Affirmations of Scripture Cannot Be Broken
-Jesus Put the Authority of Moses Above the Distortions of the Scribes
-Jesus Taught That Moses’ Writings Are to Be Believed
-Jesus Contrasted the Traditions of Men with the Word of God in the Old Testament
-Jesus Believed That Knowing the Scriptures Would Keep You from Doctrinal Error
-Jesus Devoted His Life to Fulfilling the Scriptures About the Messiah
– Either God wrote all of it or he wrote none of it. There’s no room for less than perfection with God.
– The bible ends by saying this: Rev 22:18-21
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of this book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. “I am coming soon.” Amen, Come Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.
– By adding to the bible, you take away from it. And by taking away from it, you are adding to the bible. The bible is whole, perfect and complete the way it is. Let us always think of this precious gift from God accordingly. And let us be in awe of it always.
Please don’t let my word be the final word on this. Pick up the Bible, read Gospel-saturated books by good authors, read good commentaries on the Bible, pick up Wayne Grudem’s “Systematic Theology”, read the 1689 London Baptist confession of faith and learn from a man’s lifetime of study and meditation on the Word of God. Most of all, trust in Jesus Christ and know what He has given us is whole, perfect and is for our good and His glory. Love you all!
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.